Have you started preparing your 4th of July menu? I always plan ahead, because along with ribs, burgers and hot dogs, I have come up with a vegetarian option as well. As always, there’s going to be a platter of grilled vegetables, corn on the cob and fire-roasted sweet potatoes but I still wanted to make a ”main course” worthy vegetarian dish that’s substantial and filling.
After polling the herbivores in my house, I settled on black bean burgers. They’re just seasoned, mashed black beans bound together with lecithin and xanthan gum. You could always use an egg instead if there are no dietary restrictions or allergies to contend with. A couple of minutes on the grill and they’re good to go. You could also opt for other legumes such as pinto beans, chickpeas, kidney beans or fava beans.
I’ll probably grill the veggie burgers first, then cook the regular meat burgers and let each guest assemble their sandwich with tomato slices, greens and onions. What could be better on Independence Day than a little freedom?
1. Info for Black Bean Burger (Homemade Veggie Burger Recipe)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Black Bean Burger (Homemade Veggie Burger Recipe)
- 1 (16-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or any neutral oil)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, cut into quarters
- 6 tablespoons fried yellow onions (see tips)
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon liquid lecithin
- 2/3 cup one-day-old bread
- 1/3 cup milk (see tips for vegan version)
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste (see tips)
- 1 sprig oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, freshly ground
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon horseradish mustard
- 3 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups sautéed spinach (or lettuce leaves)
- 6 bread buns, toasted
- Cut up the slice of bread and place it in a bowl. Pour the milk on the bread so it will get mushy as you mash it with your hands.
- In a small pan, heat 2 teaspoons of oil. Add the small pieces of fresh garlic and fry until golden. Add the ginger garlic paste, paprika, cayenne powder, ground cumin and oregano. Set aside.
- Lightly oil the bowl of a food processor with a silicone brush. Combine the black beans, the fried garlic and seasoning with the flavored oil. Coarsely blend until a thick paste is formed. Season with salt and pepper. Add the parsley and pulse 3-4 times. Transfer the black bean paste into a bowl.
- In a bowl, combine the xanthan gum, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and liquid lecithin (or one lightly beaten egg, see tips). Add the xanthan gum / lecithin mixture to the mashed black beans. The mixture will thicken. Add ¼ cup fried onions, garlic powder, soaked bread and mustard. Mix well.
- Checking the seasoning: In a small pan, heat about 1 teaspoon of canola oil. Add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the black bean mixture. Cook for about 2 minutes. Taste the burger. Adjust seasoning with more salt and pepper if necessary. Finish by adding a drizzle of oil to the black bean mixture.
- Grease disposable gloves with oil. Form 6 round patties and place them on a tray. Chill them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes (this step will make the cooking of the patties much easier).
- Remove the patties from the freezer. Brush them with a little oil (you could also dust them with a little all-purpose flour).
- Brush a griddle pan with the remaining canola oil. Grill all the bread buns. Transfer to a platter.
- In the same pan, place the patties (add more oil if necessary). Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side until a crust is formed on both sides of the patties. Transfer to a platter.
- Spread a thin layer of ketchup on each bun. Stack a few thin slices of red onions, a veggie burger, tomato slices and sautéed spinach (or lettuce leaves). Spread 1-2 teaspoons of caramelized onions on the other bun side. Finish with the top of the bun.
- Serve immediately.
- Bon appétit!