9. Coconut Flour
The flour from the coconut is perfect for baking and as a substitute for grain flours for the strict paleo. The flour is light and fluffy and doesn’t have the hard or chewy texture you would expect from a grain-free dessert.
Here’s one of my favorite recipes that is chocked full of delicious coconut. It’s a real crowd-pleaser for everyone in the family too!
Raw Coco-Nutty Macaroons
- 1 Cup Shredded Coconut
- ¼ Cup Organic Coconut Meal (flour)
- ¼ Cup Organic Almond Meal (flour)
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (or coconut butter)
- 2 Tbsp Grade B Maple Syrup (you can also use melted coconut sugar/nectar)
- 2 tsp. Organic Vanilla Extract or powder
- 1 Pinch of Sea Salt
- Combine the almond and coconut flour and shredded coconut in a bowl (you can use a food processor or your hands).
- In a different bowl, combine the maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, and sea salt – mix together.
- Combine both mixtures (all of the ingredients) with hands to form macaroon dough.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop the dough and form small balls by rolling in your hands.
- You can either put the balls into a food dehydrator for about 5-6 hours or simply put them in the fridge and enjoy!
Makes about 12 cookies.