4. Lemon-Garlic Roast Turkey with White-Wine Gravy
- Cuisine: American;
- Category: Main dish;
- Serves: 8-12;
- Prep Time: 24 hr;
- Cook time: 55 min;
- Nutrition Per Serving: 504;
- 1/4 cup freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 1 (12-pound) organic or natural turkey
- 1 can (14 ounce) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 10 clove garlic, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sause
- 1/4 cup packed fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
For the marinade, blend 6 cloves garlic, 4 quarts cold water, salt and lemon juice. Move the giblets away, set the turkey in the marinade and leave in the fridge for 24 hours. To make the paste, blend 4 cloves of garlic, lemon zest, pepper, oregano, 2 tablespoons of water. Brush the paste all over the turkey, a little inside the cavity, onto the breast meat and leg meat and under the skin.
Heat up oven to 350 degrees F and fry the bird approximately 1 hour. Add 1 cup of water to the pan, and keep frying 1 hour longer. Rub the turkey with your pan drippings, cover with foil and keep frying for 30 minutes at the temperature of 165 degrees. Move the bird on a big cutting board; leave for 20 minutes, then cut.
Pour juices and fat in a big measuring cup and set it in the freezer for 10 minutes. Stir flour with 1/4 cup of water in a little pot. Heat the frying pan, add wine and keep preparing for 3 minutes. Take out the juices from the freezer, remove the fat and add fat-free juices to the frying pan. Cook for one minute, stirring all the time. Sieve the gravy and serve with the turkey.