8. Roast Turkey with Wild Mushroom Gravy
- Cuisine: American;
- Category: Main dish;
- Serves: 8-12;
- Prep Time: 20 min;
- Cook time: 4 hr;
- Nutrition Per Serving: 340;
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 8 ounce sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14-pound) turkey or frozen (thawed) turkey
- 4 ounce sliced shiitake mushrooms;
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 6 ounce sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 can (14-to-14,5 ounce) chicken broth (up to 2 can, if needed);
- 1 lemon
- pepper and salt
- fresh herb and fruit for a garnish
- 1/4 cup (loosely packed) fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small onions, each cut into quarters
- 1 cup (loosely packed) fresh parsley leaves, chopped
Heat up the oven to 325 degrees F. Take away neck and giblets. Cut the neck into several big pieces, place the bird on a frying pan breast-side up and put the neck and giblets around the bird. Take one teaspoon of lemon peel, put in a small bowl, add sage, parsley, black pepper, salt and thyme. Stir it until blended.
Put carrot, celery and olive oil in a medium pot; whisk in 2 tablespoons of herb composition to cover vegetables. Put vegetable mix in pan around the bird. Sprinkle the stuffing with lemon juice, put 2 lemon halves and 4 onion quarters into the cavity and put the rest 4 onions around the turkey. Bend the legs together. Wrap the turkey with a loose piece of foil; fry 2 1/2 hours. Take away foil and fry approximately 1 1/4 hours more.
Heat the margarine, add mushrooms and fry for 6 minutes, covered. Uncover and keep frying for 10 minutes or more, stirring. The bird is ready when the thermometer put into the thickest part of the turkey shows 165 degrees F. Raise up the turkey from frying pan and set it on a big dish, tent the turkey with foil to keep it warm.
To make the gravy, leave the giblets in the pan and keep cooking till browned. Add wine and keep frying for 3 minutes. Strain the wine mixture and discard giblets and neck. Mix the flour and fat and cook for 4 minutes, add the wine mixture and keep cooking until the gravy thickened. Add mushrooms and let the gravy boil. Transfer gravy into gravy boat and serve with turkey. Decorate turkey with fruits and herbs.