4. Southern California Grilled Veggie Sandwich
You won’t miss the meat in this hearty west coast summer specialty. Fresh, seasonal produce will give you the best flavor, making these sandwiches a perfect way to use your farmers’ market finds.
- Cuisine: American;
- Category: Main Dish;
- Serves: 2;
- Prep Time:30 min;
- Cook time:10 min;
- Nutrition Per Serving: 323;
- ¼ cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice and zest of one lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 portabella mushroom cap, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Focaccia, Italian, or French bread
In a bowl, mix the mayo, lime juice, lime zest, garlic and cilantro. Cover and refrigerate to allow flavors to marry, at least 30 minutes. Brush all vegetables with olive oil on both sides and grill over high heat for about 3 minutes per side, until cooked through, but still crisp-tender. Remove veggies from grill.
Spread some of the prepared mayonnaise on cut sides of bread. Sprinkle feta on top of mayo mixture and grill bread, cheese side up, until bread is crisp and cheese is softened. Take the bread off the grill, add vegetables, and top with other slices of bread.
This delicious grilled veggie combination is perfect for a creamy summer pasta salad. Omit the bread, dice up the vegetables once they’re off the grill, and mix with rotini pasta. Mix in mayo sauce, a splash of balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper.