The girls had a bake sale at school and needed some help preparing their contribution. Instead of buying cupcakes at the supermarket, I thought it’d be a good opportunity to teach them some valuable life skills. And by life skills, I don’t just mean cooking; madeleines are so good that being able to make them qualifies as a life skill.
We decided to make a chocolate madeleine batter and add some mini chocolate chips. To balance with the chocolaty flavor, we topped the miniature sweets with a mango cream cheese frosting.
We ended up making a 150 of them for the bake sale but I think only about 100 of them actually made it to the bake sale! You can of course cut the recipe in half if you want to make fewer.
These are the mango cream cheese versions, the one in the middle are the cherry cream cheese ones.
1. Info for Double Chocolate Madeleine Tea Cakes with Mango Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 150
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Double Chocolate Madeleine Tea Cakes with Mango Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 9 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar, to taste
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 24 eggs
- 3 1/2 Tbs baking powder
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp imiation rum extract
- 1/2 tsp fleur de sel, finely ground
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup bittersweet mini-chocolate chips
- 16 oz cream cheese, 2 blocks, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 drop red food coloring
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 tsp mango extract
- 4 Tbs colored decoration sugar , (red, green, blue)
- Preheat the oven to 410°F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with 1 1/4 cup of the sugar for about 6-7 minutes. You’ll get a pale yellow foam and the texture of the egg yolk will be thicker. Add the brown sugar, raw honey, vanilla, almond and rum extracts.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, fleur de sel and baking powder. Sift all the dry ingredients.
- Place a cup of bittersweet chocolate in a separate bowl and heat for 30 seconds in the microwave. Beware! Don’t burn it… Cream the butter (6 1/2 sticks) with the remaining cup of sugar (whisk using a standmixer to get as much air as possible in the butter). Add the egg mixture and the dry ingredients. Mix well. Add the melted chocolate and the mini chocolate chips.
- Place about 1 1/2 tablespoons of madeleine dough into two 12-hole mini muffin pan. Plastic wrap the tray and place it in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the platic wrap, then bake the muffins for 5 minutes at 410°F, then lower the temperature to 350°F and bake for another 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Let it cool down completely.
- To make the mini-sweets’ frosting, whisk the cream cheese and the remaining 3 sticks of butter together. Add the powdered sugar, the red and yellow food colorings and the mango extract.
- Frost each miniature sweet with the mango cream cheese frosting then top with the colored decoration sugar.
- Serve with a nice cup of hot tea.