Haricots verts with oven roasted tomatoes are a great side dish. If you’re in the market for a great green bean recipe for Thanksgiving, this might be it! It may look simple, but it’s absolutely bursting with flavor.
Making the dish takes quite a long time but requires very little work. The tomatoes are caramelized in balsamic vinegar, palm sugar and garlic and very slowly roasted for 2 hours. French green beans are very fine and tender, so they require very little cooking. I sautéed them in caramelized onions and added the tomatoes at the last minute. The crunch from the greens and the softness from the tomatoes make a wonderful combination without packing a lot of calories.
1. Info for French Green Beans with Oven Roasted Tomatoes
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for French Green Beans with Oven Roasted Tomatoes
- 10 ounces haricots verts (French green beans)
- 2 (10.5-ounce) packages cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and finely minced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1-½ teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, lengthwise.
- Brush a baking pan with olive oil. Place the tomatoes, flesh side up.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the palm sugar in balsamic vinegar. Add garlic and 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into a plastic squeeze bottle, shake well and squirt it over the tomatoes.
- Roast for 2 hours at 275°F. At the end, to ensure the garlic is well roasted, change the setting to a broil for about 3-4 minutes. Allow to cool for about 1 hour; the tomatoes should be warm.
- Wash and pat dry the green beans.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a large, non-stick pan. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced onions and slowly cook until caramelized, stirring often. Add the beans. Toss well, leaving the heat at the highest setting for about 3 minutes until the color changes and becomes translucent. Add salt (this step will ensure a bright green color). Drizzle about 1 cup of water and cook until the liquid completely evaporates. The green beans should still be crisp at this point, not mushy. Adjust seasoning. Add more salt (if necessary) and pepper. Transfer to a platter and add the caramelized cherry tomatoes, drizzling the pan drippings over the greens. Toss well.
- Serve immediately.
- Bon appétit!