Waffles are a great way to say I love you. There is something about the warmth, the color and the texture of homemade waffles that is beyond compare.
We make them pretty often in our home, especially on weekends but they still maintain an allure that gets everyone in the house gathered around waiting in anticipation.
Maybe it’s the steam coming off the waffle iron that is so mesmerizing. I don’t know. What I do know is that if you make a plate of waffles smothered in butter and maple syrup for that special someone in your life, they will definitely appreciate it .
1. Info for Homemade Waffles
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Homemade Waffles
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt, finely ground using a mortar and pestle
- 3 cups whole milk
- 6 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp orange blossom water
- 2 Tbs Belgian pearl sugar
- In a little saucepan, bring the milk to a boil. Melt the butter in the milk. Remove from the heat. Cool the liquid completely.
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, fleur de sel, baking powder and baking soda. Sift all the dry ingredients.
- In two bowls, seperate the yolks fromt the egg whites. In one bowl, whisk the egg yolks with 3 tablespoons of sugar using a hand mixer until it’s thick and has a pale yellow color. Add the cinnamon extract and the orange blossom water. Slowly add in 3 times the flour, the milk, butter and other dry ingredients using a spatula.
- Wash thoroughly the hand mixer, then whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the rest of the sugar. Pour 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture then gently stir everything to soften the batter. Pour the rest of the egg whites and gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolks to get an airy batter. Add the Belgian pearl sugar.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of waffle batter into the center of the waffle maker. Do not overfill otherwise it will spill. Bake the waffle for about 4 minutes. Cut the waffle in 4 wedges.
- Serve warm with Nutella or maple syrup. You can also dust a little powdered sugar, top a little creme fraiche, Belgian pearl sugar and fresh strawberries.