Hungering for some down-home, stick to your ribs Cajun goodness? This recipe brings together a hearty blend of okra and collard greens with the delicious savory goodness of chicken and Johnsonville Andouille Sausage. The sausage gives the dish its authentic Cajun taste combined with that signature Johnsonville flavor you crave. Serve over a bed of hot rice and enjoy remarkable Louisiana cuisine from the comfort of your kitchen!
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Andouille and Chicken Gumbo with Black-eyed Peas and Greens.
1. Info for Andouille and Chicken Gumbo with Black-eyed Peas and Greens
- Cook Time: 1 hr 26 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 26 min
- Servings: 7
- Calories: 426.5 kcal
2. Ingredients for Andouille and Chicken Gumbo with Black-eyed Peas and Greens
- 1 package (13.5 ounces) Johnsonville® Andouille Sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup Pompeian OlivExtra® Premium oil blend, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced – reserve green portion for garnish
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon Gourmet Garden garlic
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped collard greens (center ribs removed)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen okra, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon gumbo filé
- 2 pouches Uncle Ben’s® Ready Rice® Original long grain rice prepared according to package directions
- Louisiana Hot Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture evenly over chicken pieces.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat and sauté sausage slices on both side; remove sausage and repeat with chicken, browning evenly on all sides; remove and set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven, on medium heat, add remaining olive oil.
- Slowly add flour, stirring constantly for 12-15 or until the roux is golden brown in color.
- Reduce heat to low; add onions and stir occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Add green onions, celery, garlic and green pepper. Continue to cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add red bell pepper and cook 3 longer.
- Gradually stir in broth. Add bay leaf, thyme, reserved sausage and chicken and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add black-eyed peas, greens and okra and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add gumbo filé, cover and let sit for 5 before serving.
- Serve over hot rice.