“Putting an egg on it” makes most dishes more delicious, and this healthy one-bowl meal is no exception. With saltiness from soy sauce, sweetness from brown sugar, crunch from tender-crisp broccoli, and a hint of fire from chiles, the dish will satisfy every tastebud.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Broccoli and Brown Rice Bowls with Poached Eggs and Red Chilies.
1. Info for Broccoli and Brown Rice Bowls with Poached Eggs and Red Chilies
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total Time: 1 hr
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 571.31 kcal
2. Ingredients for Broccoli and Brown Rice Bowls with Poached Eggs and Red Chilies
- 4 cup water (for rice)
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 medium carrots
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water (for sauce)
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 lb. broccoli florets
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup water (for vegetables)
- 1 tsp. distilled white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Fresno chilies (or jalapeno chilies, preferably red)
- 2 green onions
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rice and salt. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Mince the garlic. Cut the carrots in half crosswise, then slice lengthwise about 1/4 inch thick. Stack a few pieces at a time and cut lengthwise into matchsticks. Set vegetables aside.
- Stir together the soy sauce, water, brown sugar, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cut any larger broccoli florets into smaller pieces for even cooking. Heat the vegetable oil and sesame oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, broccoli, and water and stir until broccoli is evenly coated. Cover and steam until broccoli is almost tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Uncover and add carrots and reserved soy sauce mixture. Cook, stirring often, until sauce is thickened and carrots are tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Fill a medium saucepan with at least 3 inches of water and bring to a simmer. Add the vinegar. Crack one egg into a ramekin or small bowl and another into a second ramekin. Swirl the simmering water with a spoon to create a whirlpool and carefully add an egg to center of pan. Quickly add a second egg. Cook until done the way you like, 3-4 minutes for soft yolks. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Slice the chilies and green onions. Divide rice between serving bowls. Top each with broccoli mixture and a poached egg. Scatter chilies and green onions over bowls.