Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Chocolate Cake.
1. Info for Chocolate Cake
- Cook Time: 1 hr 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 45 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 2076.11 kcal
2. Ingredients for Chocolate Cake
- 4 oz unsalted butter (1 stick = 4 oz, softened)
- 290 g Confectioners Sugar
- 75 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 Tbsp. whole milk (5 Tbsp. = 79 mL)
- 4 g vanilla extract
- 1.5 g salt
- 12 oz unsalted butter (1 stick = 4 oz, plus more for pans)
- 75 g Dutch-process cocoa powder (plus more for pans)
- 115 mL boiling water (115 mL = 4 oz)
- 450 g granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (2 1/2 tsp. = 15 mL)
- 4 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 360 g sifted cake flour
- 4 g baking soda
- 3 g salt
- 240 mL milk (240 mL = 8 oz)
- Heat oven to 350ºF (176ºC). Arrange two racks in center of oven. Butter three 8-by-2-inch round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment. Dust bottoms and sides of pans with cocoa powder; tap out any excess.
- Attach Sifter Attachment to KA Stand Mixer (with Beater Attachment), and press “Tare” to zero scale.
- Add cocoa powder into the ingredient hopper and weigh. Turn Stand Mixer to speed 4 and sift cocoa into a medium bowl, and whisk in boiling water. Set aside to cool.
- Cream butter on speed 2 until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar to ingredient hopper and weigh. Turn Stand Mixer to “stir” and gradually sift in sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down sides twice. Beat in vanilla. Drizzle in eggs, a little at a time, beating between each addition until the batter is no longer slick, scraping down the sides twice.
- Whisk milk into reserved cocoa mixture.
- Add and weigh flour, baking soda, and salt to ingredient hopper, pressing “Tare” between the addition of each ingredient. Give hopper ingredients a stir to combine. With mixer on “stir”, sift dry ingredients in. Add cocoa mixture to the batter a little of each at a time.
- Divide batter evenly among the three prepared pans. Bake until a cake tester inserted into center of each layer comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes, rotating the pans for even baking. Transfer layers to wire racks; let cool, 15 minutes. Turn out cakes, and return to racks, tops up, until completely cool.
- Frosting – In bowl of stand mixer with beater attachment, beat butter until smooth on speed 4 for 1 minute. Add sugar and cocoa powder. Turn to speed 2 and slowly add in milk, vanilla and salt and mix for 4 minutes until smooth.
- Remove parchment from bottoms of cakes. Reserve the prettiest layer for the top. Place one cake layer on a serving platter; spread 1 1/2 cups chocolate frosting over the top. Add the second cake layer, and spread with another 1 1/2 cups frosting. Top with third cake layer. Cover outside of cake with the remaining 3 cups frosting. Serve.