This rich and creamy gratin is packed with hearty greens and topped with buttery Parmesan breadcrumbs.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Collard Greens Gratin.
1. Info for Collard Greens Gratin
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total Time: 55 min
- Servings: 10
- Calories: 241.19 kcal
2. Ingredients for Collard Greens Gratin
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 Tbsp. butter (for onions)
- 1/2 onion (medium, finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1.5 lb. collard green leaves (chopped, 1 bag)
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 tsp. salt (for collard greens)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 cup shredded white cheese (like Gruyere, Swiss, or white cheddar)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. salt (for breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 Tbsp. butter (melted, for breadcrumbs)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add the onion and saute until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the collard leaves to the pot in three additions, allowing each addition to shrink down slightly before adding the next. Cook the collards, stirring frequently, until they are dark green and fully wilted, 6-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pot and stir to coat collards. Allow flour to toast for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly stream the half-and-half into the pot. Stir slowly until it begins to thicken and bubble, 4-5 minutes.
- Once the mixture is bubbling, turn off the heat. Add the salt, pepper, dry mustard, and shredded cheese. Stir slowly until cheese is fully melted and the sauce coating collard leaves is smooth.
- Pour the collard mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Place panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan, salt, and garlic powder in a medium mixing bowl. Mix with a fork to combine. Drizzle melted butter into bowl, and stir until the breadcrumbs are moistened. Sprinkle the crumbs in an even layer over the collard mixture.
- Bake the gratin on middle rack of oven until edges are bubbling and top is golden brown, 30-35 minutes.
- Check to see that gratin is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow gratin to rest for 10 minutes before serving.