Warm spiced carrot cake muffins baked with a cheesecake surprise in the center.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Cream Cheese Stuffed Carrot Cake Muffins.
1. Info for Cream Cheese Stuffed Carrot Cake Muffins
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 35 min
- Servings: 12
- Calories: 280.72 kcal
2. Ingredients for Cream Cheese Stuffed Carrot Cake Muffins
- 3 medium carrots (about 1 1/3 cups, finely grated)
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped walnuts (0.75 oz. per 3 Tbsp., optional)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (100g per 1/2 cup, packed)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar (67g per 1/3 cup, 25g per 2Tbsp., divided)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce (80g per 1/3 cup)
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (divided)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or a blend of cinnamon, ginger powder, nutmeg, allspice and ground cloves)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt (scant)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 4 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Line a 12-cavity muffin pan with muffin/cupcake liners.
Grate the carrots and finely chop the walnuts.
Place the canola oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, applesauce, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Whisk vigorously until smooth and combined.
Add the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl. Continue whisking until the mixture is just combined. Do not over-mix.
Fold in the grated carrots, raisins, and walnuts.
Place the cream cheese, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Beat with a mixer on medium speed until the mixture is completely smooth, 2-3 minutes.
Add the egg yolk and beat on low speed until just combined.
Fill each muffin cup about 1/4 of the way full. Spoon about a tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each muffin. Cover the cream cheese mixture with more muffin batter, filling the cups no higher than 1/4 inch below the top edge.
Bake the muffins on middle rack of oven for 5 minutes.
Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Continue baking until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 14-16 minutes.
Check to see that muffins are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing. Refrigerate the muffins at least one hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers in a container for up to 1 week.