Nothing says Hanukkah like warm and delicious Hanukkah Jelly Doughnuts. It is traditional to indulge in foods made with oil during the Jewish festival of lights as a reminder of the miracle of the oil that was only to last a day but actually lasted eight whole days in the second Temple. These amazing jelly doughnuts melt in your mouth with each bite. Few desserts come close to comparing with this one. Enjoy these on the couch with a hot cup of coffee and a blanket.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Hanukkah Jelly Doughnuts.
1. Info for Hanukkah Jelly Doughnuts
- Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Servings: 18
- Calories: 730.7 kcal
2. Ingredients for Hanukkah Jelly Doughnuts
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1/4 stick butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 quarts vegetable oil
- 1 jar raspberry jelly
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Combine dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk.
- Attach the hook attachment to mixer and gradually add wet ingredients on low speed until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a well greased bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about an hour.
- Once dough has risen, use a rolling pin to roll dough out on lightly floured surface until 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a two inch round cookie cutter to form rounds.
- Place on parchment covered baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap for one hour until doubled in size.
- Once rounds have risen, heat oil in dutch oven to 350 degrees F and add the rounds to the oil about an inch apart, frying for two minutes on each side.
- When golden brown on both sides, remove doughnuts from oil.
- Once doughnuts are cooled, pike each doughnut with a hole and use a pastry bag with raspberry jelly to fill doughnuts with about 1 tbsp. of jelly.
- Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy.