Tender, buttery, cheesy scones flavored with black pepper and studded with salty bits of ham are the stuff of brunch dreams. Serve them warm alongside softly scrambled eggs.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for One-Bowl Ham and Gruyere Scones.
1. Info for One-Bowl Ham and Gruyere Scones
- Cook Time: 53 min
- Total Time: 53 min
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 463.77 kcal
2. Ingredients for One-Bowl Ham and Gruyere Scones
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- Butter (softened, optional)
- 5 oz. sliced ham
- 3 oz. Gruyere cheese
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (for dough)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt (for dough)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs (for dough)
- All-purpose flour (for dusting)
- 1 large egg (for egg wash)
- Pinch of salt (for egg wash)
- Seal the butter in a small container and freeze until firm, at least 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with butter.
- Chop the ham into small pieces and coarsely shred the cheese. Set ham and cheese aside.
- Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Grate the frozen butter into flour mixture using the largest holes on a box grater. Toss with your fingers to combine, separating any clumps if needed.
- Add ham and cheese to bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour the heavy cream into a measuring cup, add the eggs, and whisk to blend.
- Pour cream and eggs over flour mixture and stir just until evenly incorporated.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface. Gather into a ball and knead 1 or 2 turns just to smooth out the surface. Flour dough and pat into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges, using a bench scraper or knife. Transfer wedges to the prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg and salt together in the measuring cup and brush onto scones.
- Bake the scones on middle rack of oven for 8 minutes.
- Rotate pan and continue baking until scones are nicely browned on top, about 10 minutes.
- Check to see that scones are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Let scones cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then serve warm. Scones are best eaten the day they are made, but can be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 3 days.