Traditional stuffed peppers made lighter with extra-lean ground beef and cauliflower rice. They’re so flavorful, you’ll never miss the added calories.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Skinny Stuffed Peppers.
1. Info for Skinny Stuffed Peppers
- Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 234.29 kcal
2. Ingredients for Skinny Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 10 oz. ground beef (96% lean)
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Slice the tops from the bell peppers, remove the stems, and set aside. Remove the internal seeds and membranes. Arrange the peppers open side up in a glass baking dish.
- Finely chop the onion and pepper tops. Mince the garlic.
- Set an extra-large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, peppers, garlic, ground beef, salt, black pepper, oregano, and thyme. Cook the beef and vegetables, breaking up the meat with a spatula, until it is thoroughly browned and the vegetables are soft, 7-8 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cauliflower rice to the skillet, and stir to combine with the beef. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Divide the beef mixture evenly between each bell pepper, firmly packing it into the cavities. Sprinkle the top of each pepper with a tablespoon of shredded cheese.
- Carefully pour enough water into the casserole dish to rise 1/2 inch up the sides of the peppers.
- Spray a sheet of aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray. Lay the foil sprayed side down over the peppers and secure around the edges of the casserole dish.
- Bake the stuffed peppers on middle rack of oven until they can be easily pierced with a fork, about 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking until the cheese on top is golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Check to see that stuffed peppers are done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow the peppers to rest for 5-10 minutes. Serve and enjoy.