A homemade blend of Cajun spices make this Southern Roasted Chicken one of the most flavorful chickens you may ever eat.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Southern Cajun Spice Roasted Chicken.
1. Info for Southern Cajun Spice Roasted Chicken
- Cook Time: 1 hr 40 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 40 min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 567 kcal
2. Ingredients for Southern Cajun Spice Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole roasting chicken (4-5 lb.)
- 2 tsp. salt
- Black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. butter (softened)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and position a wire rack in the pan.
- Remove and discard the giblets from the cavity of the chicken.
- Liberally season the chicken inside and out with the salt and black pepper.
- Stir the softened butter and olive oil together until mostly combined. With clean hands, rub the mixture all over the surface of the chicken and under the breast skin.
- Place the chicken on the wire rack breast side up. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine, and tuck the wing tips beneath the body of the chicken.
- Whisk together the spices and sugar. Evenly sprinkle the top of the chicken with the mixture so that the breast, thighs and wings are generously coated.
- Place the parsley and lemon half in the cavity of the chicken.
- Roast the chicken on middle rack of oven until the thickest part of the breast reaches an internal temperature of 160°F, 60-80 minutes.
- Check to see that chicken is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Leftovers may be refrigerated for 3-4 days or frozen for up to 2 months.