Instead of the usual ripe beefsteak or heirloom tomatoes, this Southern-inspired version of BLTs features tangy, unripe green tomatoes coated in crunchy cornmeal with a touch of hot sauce. Make the sandwiches with satisfying, thick-cut bacon and sandwich bread. Then serve them up with a dollop of mayonnaise for an easy lunch or dinner.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Southern Fried Green Tomato BLT Sandwiches.
1. Info for Southern Fried Green Tomato BLT Sandwiches
- Cook Time: 1 Hr 0 Min
- Total Time: 1 Hr 0 Min
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 747.49 kcal
2. Ingredients for Southern Fried Green Tomato BLT Sandwiches
- thick-cut bacon
- large egg
- hot sauce
- yellow cornmeal
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- granulated onion
- granulated garlic
- vegetable oil
- green tomatoes
- thick-cut bread
- butter lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with foil and arrange bacon on top in a single layer.
- Bake bacon until browned and crunchy, about 25 minutes, turning slices over halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, pour buttermilk into a shallow dish and stir in beaten egg and hot sauce. Add flour to a second shallow dish or a plate. Add cornmeal and seasonings to another shallow dish or plate and stir to combine.
- Begin heating 1 inch of oil in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or 3-inch-deep cast-iron skillet until it reaches 350°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Set a cooling rack in a sheet pan and put it near the stove.
- While oil heats, dip 1 tomato slice at a time in buttermilk mixture, then in flour. Turn flour-coated tomatoes in buttermilk again, then add them to the cornmeal mixture and turn to coat evenly on both sides. Set tomatoes aside on plates.
- Fry tomatoes in batches without crowding until golden brown, 4-5 minutes per batch, turning once if needed. As they’re done, transfer fried tomatoes to the cooling rack set in the sheet pan.
- Toast bread and spread on one side with mayonnaise. Place a layer of lettuce, 3 slices of bacon, and 3-4 fried green tomato slices each on half of the bread. Top with remaining bread and serve.