Satisfy your sweet tooth with this easy-to-make recipe for Southern Hoppin’ John.
1. Info for Southern Hoppin’ John
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total Time: 55 min
- Servings: 8
2. Ingredients for Southern Hoppin’ John
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or bacon grease)
- 1/2 medium onion (diced)
- 2 ribs celery (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth (or stock)
- 1 1/2 cups smoked ham (chopped, or 1 smoked ham hock)
- 10 oz diced tomatoes with green chilies (canned, undrained)
- 1 lb frozen black-eyed peas
- salt (to taste)
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until the onions are translucent and tender – about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the broth, ham (or ham hock), and undrained tomatoes and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Stir in the black-eyed peas. Add salt to taste. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 to 35 minutes or until the peas are tender to your liking.
- While the peas cook, prepare the rice according to the package instructions. The 2 cups of uncooked rice should yield 6 to 8 cups of cooked rice depending on the exact kind. Serve peas over the cooked rice – mixing together if desired.