has started very well for me (I returned to my home country of France last month and spent the holidays with my parents). Everything’s wonderful at home. There’s really only one thing getting me down. Last December, I received my first traffic ticket for not bringing my vehicle to a full stop at a stop sign. Now I’m taking full responsibility, but in my defense, I got distracted because there was a collision right in front of me. So now I have to take online traffic school to have the point removed from my driving record, which didn’t give me much time to cook today. I know: excuses, excuses…
In honor of my traffic school test, here’s a description of today’s recipe in multiple choice question form:
I improvised a quick meal sautéing deep fried gluten, string beans, wood ear mushrooms, Japanese eggplants and a little kumquat marmalade:
Drive safely everyone!
1. Info for Vegan Stir Fry Recipe: Fried Gluten with Vegetables
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Vegan Stir Fry Recipe: Fried Gluten with Vegetables
- 1 (6-ounce) can deep fried gluten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or any neutral oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in thirds
- 2 Japanese eggplants
- ½ teaspoon mushroom seasoning salt (or regular salt)
- 8 ounces fresh string beans
- 6 fresh wood ear mushrooms, chopped
- ½ teaspoon black bean garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon tangerine kumquat marmalade (or any other fruit preserves)
- 1 yellow onion, cut in small wedges
- Prepping the beans: Wash and pat dry the beans. Trim the ends. Cut the beans into 1-½”-long pieces. In a wok, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook until slightly golden. Add the beans. Toss well, leaving the heat at the highest setting for about 3 minutes until the color changes and becomes translucent. Add mushroom seasoning salt (this step will ensure a bright green color). Transfer to a platter.
- Prepping the eggplants: Stem the eggplants. Slice them in half, lengthwise and cut them into 1” slices. In the same wok, add the eggplant slices. Ensure that the eggplant pieces are coated in oil. Toss and cook until golden, soft and tender. Transfer to a platter.
- Assembly time: Add more oil if necessary (I didn’t). Add the fried gluten, wood ear mushrooms, black bean garlic sauce, chili garlic sauce and tangerine kumquat marmalade. Sauté for a minute, then add about ½ cup of water. Add the beans, eggplants and onion wedges. Stir fry until the water evaporates. Check the doneness of the beans (add more water if not fully cooked) and transfer to a serving platter.
- Serve with jasmine brown rice (I’ve been trying to eat healthier food).
- Eat with chopsticks!