2. Spaghetti with Basil, Tomatoes and Cheese
Inspired by the classic combinations of a caprese salad, this pasta dish comes together in a flash.
- Cuisine: American;
- Category: Side Dish;
- Serves: 2-4;
- Prep Time:10 min;
- Cook time:60 min;
- Nutrition Per Serving: 580;
- 1 box thin spaghetti pasta
- 2 pounds vine ripened tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups buffalo mozzarella pearls (If you can’t find the small rounds, just look for fresh buffalo mozzarella and dice into small pieces)
- ½ cup grated Asiago or Pecorino cheese
In a glass bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic, basil, red pepper flakes, olive oil and vinegar. Allow to sit for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Boil pasta in a large pot of salted water until cooked through, but still firm to the bite. Drain pasta, but do not rinse. Return pasta to pot.
Drain ½ cup of the liquid from the tomato mixture and pour over warm pasta. Toss to coat well. Add cheeses, turning heat back on to lowest setting, and stir until cheeses just begin to soften and melt. Turn off heat, transfer pasta to large serving bowl, and toss well with tomato mixture.
Mix it up: Try a fresh new twist on spaghetti night. Mix equal parts ground pork and veal, add shredded Asiago cheese, fresh chopped flat leaf parsley, Italian seasoned bread crumbs and an egg. Roll into balls, fry or bake until golden browned and add to the pasta just before serving.