This salad is composed of thinly-sliced avocado, Bolero Nantes carrots and crisp Cherry Belle Radishes. Mixed freshly cut corn, fresh garbanzo beans, Persian cucumbers, roasted green bell peppers, sprouted radish shoots and fried matchstick white sweet potatoes complete the refreshing dish. But what truly defines it is the beautifully colored and flavorful parsley oil. If dressed properly, this salad could be a perfect first course for your dinner party.
1. Info for Avocado Gourmet Salad Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Avocado Gourmet Salad Recipe
- 2 Hass avocados
- juice of 1 lemon
- 6 radishes
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 6 ounces fresh garbanzo beans, shelled
- 1 Persian cucumber, cut into 2½” matchsticks
- 1 ear of corn, husked and steamed
- 1 green bell pepper, roasted, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 Japanese white sweet potatoes , peeled
- 1 package sprouted radish shoots
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley
- Prepping the avocados, carrots and radishes: Slice the avocado in half, remove the pit. Using a mandoline or a sharp chef’s knife, slice the avocado into thick ribbons for a pretty presentation. Transfer to a plate, removing the peel from each slice (that way the avocado isn’t mushy). Cut the slices in half lengthwise. Drizzle with lemon juice to avoid oxidation. Repeat the same procedure with the radishes and the carrots (slice them on the bias for long strips).
- Preparing the sweet potatoes: Slice the sweet potatoes into thin matchsticks with a mandoline and place them in a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice and cover it with ice water. Let sit for 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and discard the liquid, removing as much excess water as possible. Pat dry using kitchen towels.
- Frying the sweet potatoes: In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons canola oil. Working in batches, sprinkle 4–5 tablespoons sweet potatoes evenly into the pan. Do not stir. Let stand and wait for at least 2 minutes until one side is nicely fried, crisp and golden. Flip the potatoes using chopsticks or a spatula and cook for another 2-3 minutes until crispy. Continue until all the sweet potatoes are fried. Add more oil between batches as necessary. Once the potatoes are nicely browned, transfer to a platter lined with paper towels.
- For the corn: Cut the corn kernels off the cob, using a sharp chef’s knife. Set aside.
- For the parsley oil: Wash the flat-leaf parsley. Quickly blanch it for about 10 seconds in boiling salted water and transfer to an ice bath, to maintain a bright green color. Drain thoroughly of all water, and pat dry on paper towels. Coarsely chop the parsley. In a blender (or a mini-blender if you have one), mix the parsley, olive oil, 2 tablespoons avocado oil, salt flakes garlic and pepper.
- Assembly time:
- In a bowl. combine the corn, garbanzo beans, cucumber, green bell pepper and sweet potatoes. Drizzle with the remaining lemon juice, avocado oil, salt and pepper. Lightly toss well until well distributed.
- You can assemble this salad as it pleases you. Here’s my suggestion:
- Place 5 avocado slices, fanning them, into the end of an oval individual serving plate. Repeat the same pattern with the sliced carrots and radishes around the plate. Then cover the center of the plate with the mixed vegetables.
- Drizzle and decorate with the green oil. Sprinkle with crumbled gorgonzola and more pepper.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Bon appétit!
4. Tips and advices:
- Little reminder on how to roast bell peppers: Wash the bell peppers and pat dry. Place them on the grill and char all the skin. Wrap in aluminum foil. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Wash under running water and the skin will come right off. Seed and thinly slice. If you want to store the roasted bell peppers, drizzle with oil and season with salt; set aside until needed.
- The fried sweet potatoes provide crunchiness to the salad. You could also use regular potatoes but I find that the natural sweetness from the sweet potatoes provides a great balance with the peppery flavor from the radishes.
- Toss all the ingredients at the last minute so the matchstick potatoes remain crispy.