Tàu hũ ky kho is braised rolled yuba (very thin sheets of tofu skin / bean curd) in a thick, mildly sweet soy sauce. This dish is supposed to resemble bò cuốn hành hương (rolled beef with aromatic shallots in Vietnamese). The many layers of bean curd give a meaty texture to the tofu.
I served them with steamed white rice and a Vietnamese soup called canh mồng tơi on the side. This dish is perfect for my house as everyone was satisfied and shared the same meal: rolled beef (I’ll post the recipe soon) for the meat eaters and mock beef rolls for the vegetarians. Even if you don’t have the same variety of diets in your house, you can of course still enjoy the benefits of this healthy and flavorful meal. If you’ve never tasted tofu skins before, this is a great introduction.
1. Info for Braised Rolled Tofu Skin Recipe (Yuba)
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 345kcal
2. Ingredients for Braised Rolled Tofu Skin Recipe (Yuba)
- 1 (12-ounce) package fresh rolled tofu skin
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1-½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark honey
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon mushroom seasoning salt (or regular salt)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the chunks of rolled yuba. Roll the yuba pieces and brown each side until golden. Transfer the rolled yuba onto a platter. Using kitchen shears, snip the tofu into 1-½” pieces.
- In the same pan, add more peanut oil if necessary. Add the chopped garlic and ginger and cook for about 1-2 minutes until slightly golden. Place the yuba pieces back into the pan. Add soy sauce, honey, sugar, mushroom powder, paprika and cayenne powder. Add ½ cup of water. Once the water evaporates, check the seasoning. Add more salt (if necessary) and black pepper. Add cilantro.
- For serving, place the yuba bits in a few leaves of iceberg lettuce. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice and eat with chopsticks!