We’ve been experiencing unseasonably cool weather this week. I’ve been making a lot of healthy summer salads for the family, but today I decided to switch it up a bit and prepare a big pot of hot soup.
I used the remaining freshly picked carrots from our garden and roasted red bell peppers as the main flavorings in the soup. To ensure that it remained healthy and well-balanced, I added well-known French beans called flageolet beans. They resemble large, pale green kidney beans and have a very delicate flavor with a starchy texture, which married perfectly with the velvety soup.
1. Info for Carrot and Red Bell Pepper Soup Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Carrot and Red Bell Pepper Soup Recipe
- 1¼ pounds baby carrots (or regular carrots)
- 3 red bell peppers, roasted, skinned, seeded, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds, freshly ground
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¾ cup evaporated milk (or cream)
- 1 (14.1-ounce) can flageolet beans (see tips), drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Trim the carrot greens and coarsely chop them.
- In a small pot, add the carrots, sugar (if used), ground cumin, ground coriander, thyme and 2 cups vegetable broth. Cover and bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes. Once the liquid evaporates, check doneness (add more broth or water if the carrots aren’t fully cooked). Remove and discard the thyme.
- Transfer the carrots to a blender. Add the roasted peppers, milk (or cream) and pulse until smooth and lump-free. Season with salt and white pepper. Strain the mixture through a medium-mesh sieve.
- For the flageolet beans: In a small pot, add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the chopped red bell pepper and the flageolet beans and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add parsley and remaining vegetable broth. You can increase or decrease the quantity of liquid, depending on how thick you want the soup.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes. Add the carrot and bell pepper mixture. Mix well. Adjust seasoning.
- Bon appétit!