Cheddar cheese muffins are one easy appetizer. I followed a usual cake batter recipe but instead of making it sweet, I flavored it with both jalapeño Cheddar cheese and smoked cheddar cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and chopped walnuts. As a reminder of the flavors, I topped each muffin with sun-dried tomato pesto.
Today, the girls were in charge of the barbeque lunch. They grilled several vegetables, sausages for hot dogs and finally placed a few sweet potatoes in the ashes. I didn’t want to interfere with their menu, so all I did was a few of these easy, cheesy appetizers. I’m sure they didn’t mind!
1. Info for Cheddar Cheese Muffins (Savory Cake Recipe)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 18
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Cheddar Cheese Muffins (Savory Cake Recipe)
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperaturea
- 1-½ tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, chopped
- 3 ounces jalapeño Cheddar cheese, diced
- 3 ounces smoked Cheddar cheese, diced
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning (or any other dried herbs), chopped
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly shaved
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg with the sugar for about 4-5 minutes. Add Mrs. Dash seasoning and dry mustard.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and red chili powder. Sift all the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Mix well. Add sour cream (if used), milk and butter. Add the cheeses, chopped sun-dried tomatoes and finish with the walnuts.
- Apply a thin layer of melted butter to the molds (or place a cupcake liner). Pour in the cake batter. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 400°F; lower the temperature to 375°F and bake for another 25-30 minutes. A skewer or a toothpick inserted into the muffin should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with red pesto.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with herb butter on the side.