This salad course is simple and very easy. I shredded a head of Chinese cabbage and mixed it with pickled onions, Vietnamese mint and pickled garlic. The mint enhances the flavor of the cabbage and gives it a fresh taste.
The best part is that this type of gơi (Vietnamese pickled salad) can be done very quickly and it’s very low in calories. I’m attending a yoga class today, and this salad will keep me in a Zen state of mind long after the class is over.
1. Info for Chinese Cabbage Salad Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Chinese Cabbage Salad Recipe
- 1 head Chinese cabbage
- 1 white onion
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves pickled garlic (or fresh garlic), crushed and finely minced
- juice of 2 limes
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- 4 tablespoons Vietnamese mint, coarsely chopped
- Pickling the onions: Peel and thinly slice the onion. Place the sliced onion in a bowl, sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Toss well. Set aside.
- Gỏi sauce (salad dressing): In a bowl, combine the rest of the lime juice, sugar, pickled garlic and salt. Mix well.
- Drain and discard the macerating liquid from the pickled onions.
- Quarter the cabbage through the root, then shred it thinly.
- Place the cabbage in a large bowl. Add the gỏi dressing. Toss thoroughly. Set aside for about 10 minutes. Drain and discard about half of the liquid (salt draws out moisture from the cabbage); otherwise the salad will be too watery.
- When you’re ready to serve, add the chopped mint. Toss well. Season with more salt (if needed) and white pepper.
- Bon appétit!