Edamame pesto is a new pasta sauce I came up with this weekend. I made this pesto with edamame beans, roasted garlic, walnuts, walnut oil and dill. I added diced fire-roasted tomatoes to soften the sauce and melted brie cheese as the finishing touch. Lulu absolutely loved it and used some of the leftover pesto to make sandwiches this weekend.
I love experimenting with new ingredients, and this week I found not one, but two ways to use edamame beans. We usually just serve them plain as a snack, but now I know that they make incredible hummus and pesto!
1. Info for Edamame Pesto Pasta Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Edamame Pesto Pasta Recipe
- 1 (16-ounce) package Ditalini pasta (small macaroni), cooked and drained
- ½ cup fresh dill, + extra for garnish
- 1 cup whole walnuts
- ½ cup frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans), thawed
- 1 tablespoon puréed roasted garlic, or 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- ¼ cup vegetable broth (or water), as needed
- ¼ cup olive oil, as needed
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1-½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ cup Brie cheese, diced and softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- For the walnuts: Preheat the oven to 325°F. To release all the flavor and oil of the nuts, roast the walnuts in the oven for about 10 minutes before using them. Reserve a few for garnish. Chop the nuts. Grind the roasted walnuts in a food processor or spice grinder. Make sure you stop before it turns into walnut butter. Set aside.
- For the edamame-walnut pesto: Reserve a few edamame beans (about 2 tablespoons). In a blender (or a mini-food prep if you have one), mix the remaining edamame beans, dill, ground walnuts, olive oil, walnut oil, roasted garlic and lemon juice. Season with salt and black pepper. Add about the vegetable broth (or water) for a smooth flow. Set aside.
- Assembly time: In a non-stick pot, melt the Brie cheese in milk. As soon as the cheese is ready, add 5-6 tablespoons of edamame pesto. Stir well until well combined. Add the cooked pasta. Toss well. Add a little more oil if necessary. At the last minute, add the fire-roasted diced tomatoes and reserved edamame beans.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with dill and the reserved walnuts.
- Serve immediately.
- Bon appétit!