I had just finished preparing dinner and snapped a photo of the quick and easy dish to share with you. For this vegetarian meal, I used shallots, garlic, French Puy green lentils, thyme, parsley and day-old baguette bread.
1. Info for French Green Lentil Cake Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for French Green Lentil Cake Recipe
- 1½ pounds French Puy green lentils, fully cooked, drained and cooled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, freshly minced
- 1 sprig thyme, bruised and chopped
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a non-stick 9-inch pan, add the chopped shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes until shiny and slightly golden. Transfer to a bowl, leaving as much oil as possible in the pan.
- Place the bread in a food processor and pulse until it becomes a coarse mill. Set aside.
- Lightly oil the bowl of the food processor with a silicone brush. Add ¾ of the cooked green lentils. Coarsely blend until a thick paste is formed. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cooked shallots and pulse 3-4 times. Transfer the paste into a bowl. Add the remaining lentils, piment d’espelette, crumbled baguette, thyme, parsley, the egg and the rest of the oil from the pan. Using a spatula, mix well. Adjust seasoning with more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Using the same pan, add one more tablespoon oil. Heat the oil, then spread the lentil mixture and flatten with a spatula. Lower the heat. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Place a plate over the lentil cake. Gently flip then cook the other side for another 4 minutes until a nice crust is formed.
- Serve warm with your favorite salad and drizzle with the accompanying salad dressing.
- Bon appétit!
4. Tips and advices:
- The lentils will be easier to digest once quickly blanched and baking soda has been added to the cooking liquid. I boiled the lentils for 35 minutes, then drained and let cool to room temperature.