Caprese salad is a simple and easy recipe. It consists of stacked slices of buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes and basil, seasoned with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. To mix things up, I made an Asian variation of this salad, adding stone fruit and berries. I drizzled toasted sesame oil and plum vinegar to season the salad.
Unlike berries, this year has been a bummer for the tomatoes in our garden. My husband Lulu has been struggling with the vegetables he planted. Since last year, we’ve been fighting gophers and rabbits. So to avoid the proliferation of these animals, we decided to install several elevated tomato planters. Unfortunately, this method has attracted all the deer from the neighborhood. They don’t eat the fruit, but they do devour all the young sprouts. I managed to gather a few ripe tomatoes and made salads, but there aren’t enough to can any tomato sauce this year!
1. Info for Fruit Caprese Salad Recipe
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 229
2. Ingredients for Fruit Caprese Salad Recipe
- 4 (8-ounce) Buffalo Mozzarella cheese, thickly sliced
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 4 yellow peaches, ripe but firm
- 1-½ cups fresh mulberries (or any berries)
- ¼ cup Thai basil leaves, tightly packed
- 3/4 cup plum vinegar (or any fruity vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (optional), depending on the saltiness of the vinegar
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, slightly toasted (optional)
- Using a sharp knife (a bread knife cuts through tomatoes very easily), slice the tomatoes.
- Cut the peaches in half. Twist and gently remove the stones and slice them.
- In a small saucepan, combine the plum vinegar, soy sauce (if used) and ground white pepper. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Allow the syrup to cool to room temperature. On a serving platter, stack alternating slices of tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, Thai basil leaves and peaches. Top with fresh mulberries.
- Drizzle the toasted sesame oil and plum vinegar reduction over the Caprese salad.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds (if used).
- Serve at room temperature.Bon appétit!