I feel super lucky to live in the Bay Area; there’s such an abundance of incredible ingredients. The wide range of gourmet mushrooms available at my local market, The Milk Pail of Mountain View, makes me giddy.
The possibilities when presented with such fine ingredients are nearly endless. I could have prepared a simple, flavorful omelet, but I decided to go for a more delicate dish: vegetarian risotto.
To do so, I used whatever the Milk Pail carried on that particular day (I didn’t select everything because the prices of some of the mushrooms gave me the chills). In the end, I included fresh morels, maitake mushrooms, Hegehogs and brown crimini mushrooms. I loved how this gastronomical adventure was able to please and feed my loved ones!
1. Info for Gourmet Mushroom Risotto Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Gourmet Mushroom Risotto Recipe
- 10 ounces gourmet mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 1¼ cups Arborio rice (see tips)
- 5½ cups warm vegetable broth, as needed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, freshly cracked
- ¼ cup milk Cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Coarsely chop the mushrooms.
- In a large, deep pan, add 2 tablespoons oil. When it’s hot, add the garlic. Cook for about 1 minute. Keep the temperature at a high heat. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 3-4 minute until shiny. Season with salt and a bit of white pepper. Transfer all the contents of the pan to a large platter. Reserve the excess mushroom liquid, if any.
- In a deep pan, heat the rest of the oil. Add the shallots and green onions and cook until fragrant and tender. Add butter. Transfer half the amount to a plate, then add the rice to the pan. Make sure that each grain is coated with oil. Stir until light translucent. Add 3 cups of warm broth and the reserved liquid from the mushrooms. Stir constantly.
- After bringing the liquid to a boil, add the Cheddar cheese and lower the heat to medium-low; cook for about 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Check the liquid and periodically add ½ cup to 1 cup of broth (and water if all the broth is used) when all the previous liquid is absorbed. Let simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
- When the rice is almost cooked, return the mushrooms and their liquid (if any). Check the seasoning and add salt (if necessary) and pepper. Add the reserved shallots and green onions and the rest of the butter. Stir well. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Cover and let sit until you’re ready to assemble.
- Serve immediately.
- Bon appétit!