Green bean casserole can be found on many Thanksgiving menus. French green beans are tossed in a mushroom sauce, topped with onions and baked for a few minutes.
The traditional dish called for fried onions (see tips), but I made a ”light” version using caramelized onions and a roux (combination of butter, flour and a liquid) made with vegetable stock. No cream or any dairy ingredients involved except a little butter. Don’t get me wrong; this version of green bean casserole is still packed with flavor from the onions and the cherry tomatoes tossed in garlic. But it will be nice to have something healthier on our table to balance out all the richer dishes I plan to make.
1. Info for Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and finely minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or canned vegetable broth), warmed for 2 minutes in the microwave
- 1 (10.5-ounce) package cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, lengthwise.
- Brush a baking dish with olive oil.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick pan. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced onions and slowly cook until caramelized, stirring often. Transfer the onions to a platter. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the garlic. Cook until fragrant. Add the cherry tomatoes. Toss well until wilted. Transfer to a platter. Set aside.
- Add the beans. Toss well, leaving the heat at the highest setting for about 3 minutes until the color changes and becomes translucent. Add salt (this step will ensure a bright green color). Transfer to a platter.
- Add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the crimini mushrooms. Toss well for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms. The flour should absorb the butter instantly and form a paste. Add the warm vegetable stock in 3 stages. Increase the heat while constantly stirring for about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the beans and tomatoes. Stir until well coated.
- Transfer to the baking dish and bake for 10 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling. Sprinkle with the onions and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool a little. Serve warm.
- Bon appétit!