Margherita pizza is a delicious yet very simple concept: pizza dough is smeared with flavorful tomato sauce topped with fresh mozzarella and freshly-torn basil leaves. I used whole grain naan instead of the pizza dough, so the preparation time was even shorter. To cook the naan pizzas, I placed them on the barbecue grill and let them cook until the cheese was warm and melted.
1. Info for Grilled Naan Margherita Pizza Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Grilled Naan Margherita Pizza Recipe
- 3 California Lavash whole grain naans (or any flat bread such as pita bread)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1¼ pounds fresh San Marzano tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh lemon thyme, bruised and chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, bruised and chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) fresh buffalo mozzarella ball
3.1 For the tomato sauce
Reserve about 2 tablespoons chopped tomatoes for the pizza.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pot. Add the garlic and fry until golden. Transfer to a plate. Add the thyme and oregano and cook for about 1 minute until fragrant. Add the tomatoes. Cook over high heat for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a food mill. If you don’t have a food mill, you can use a food processor, then pass the sauce through a coarse-mesh sieve and discard the tomato skin. Return the tomato sauce to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then immediately lower the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the sauce thickens. Cover and let it sit until ready to assemble.
3.2 Assembly time
Prepare the barbecue grill. Heat it for high direct heat. Brush the grill with vegetable oil.
Pat dry the buffalo mozzarella with a paper towel. Cut into slices.
Once the grill is hot, brush the naans with a thin layer of olive oil and place on the grill. Warm the bread on both sides.
Manually tear the basil leaves so they don’t bruise and set them aside.
Spread the tomato sauce (not too much or the bread will turn soggy) onto each naan. Cover with the reserved tomatoes. Top with the mozzarella slices and basil. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
Carefully slide the flat bread back onto the grill, close the lid and cook for 3 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Transfer to a cutting board. Let stand for a few minutes. Slice and serve immediately.
4. Tips and advices:
- You could use any variety of tomatoes such as Roma tomatoes. I just happened to have the girls bring me freshly picked San Marzano tomatoes from our garden. This variety is perfect for making tomato sauce.