This tomato recipe is simple but so flavorful. I always make it when we barbecue. Unfortunately, this year was horrible for the tomatoes from our garden. Lulu planted two dozen tomato plants. I was so ecstatic about getting sweet, juicy tomatoes, but the gophers killed all our plants. If you have a cure for a gopher infestation, please send me a message. Anyway, since we didn’t have enough from our garden, I bought plum tomatoes from the farmers’ market for our 4th of July barbecue.
Grilling tomatoes only requires skewers, garlic, oil, salt and pepper. To make it more flavorful, I thread the tomatoes onto oregano sprigs. Once the tomatoes are cooked, I drizzle them with shallot vinaigrette. They’re best when they’re still warm. Yum!
1. Info for Grilled Tomatoes (Simple Barbecue Recipe)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Grilled Tomatoes (Simple Barbecue Recipe)
- 18 plum tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 7 oregano sprigs (or any herb you have available)
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- ½ cup olive oil, as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fleur de sel (coarse salt)
- In a bowl, mix the shallot with the vinegar. Let stand for about 1 hour.
- In another bowl, mix the garlic and 1 tablespoon chopped oregano with ¼ cup olive oil. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Using a metal skewer, create a hole through the tomato starting from the stem.
- Remove the metal skewer and thread 3 tomatoes onto an oregano sprig. Drizzle with the garlic/oregano olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill for about a minute on each side until slightly browned and caramelized. Let cool a little.
- Combine the shallot, removing a little of the red wine vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard and the rest of the olive oil in an immersion blender attachment (and the attachment measuring cup) or a mini-food prep until the mixture becomes thick and smooth. Add a little water if necessary.
- Drizzle the tomotoes with shallot vinaigrette. Sprinkle with fleur de sel and garnish with flat-leaf parsley.