A few weeks ago, fresh rambutans were on sale for only $0.69 a pound and we bought several pounds. I figured flight tickets to Vietnam are so expensive, it wouldn’t be so bad to splurge on the tropical fruits instead of a trip to Asia!They’re called chôm chôm in Vietnamese. After a few bags, my family eventually got sick of them, so I ended up making fruit purée and storing it in the freezer. I already had in mind a specific drink recipe I would make. I prepared a flavorful but healthy drink with a vibrant green color. In addition to the rambutans, I used spinach, kiwis, lemon and lime juice.
The result was delicious. I loved the acidic taste of the kiwis, lime and lemon that balanced so well with the sweetness from the rambutan purée.
1. Info for Healthy Green Drink Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 4
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Healthy Green Drink Recipe
- 1½ pounds rambutans
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 kiwis
- 1 cup water
- juice of 1 lime, + 4 thin slices for garnish
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons green-colored decoration sugar
- Prepping the rambutans: Using a sharp hook-like paring knife, create a small cut around the fruit crosswise, being careful not to touch the flesh so the juice doesn’t ooze out.
- Gather the rambutan flesh in a blender. Pulse until blended. Strain the pulp through a large-mesh sieve, using a silicone spatula to press through as much as possible. Discard the fibrous solids. Place the fruit purée in half of an ice cube tray and store in the freezer for 2 hours; that way you don’t need to add crushed ice in the drink.
- Prepping the kiwis: Peel and coarsely chop the kiwis, reserving 4 thin slices for garnish.
- Add the rambutan ice cubes, kiwis, spinach, lemon juice and lime juice to the blender. Blend for 1 minute. Pour in 1 cup water for a smoother flow. The consistency of the drink should be smooth.
- Fill a shallow plate with a little water and another plate with the green sugar. Dip the rims of the glasses first in the water and then immediately dip them in the sugar.
- Pour into 4 glasses.
- Finish with slices of fresh kiwi and lime for decoration (place on the rim of the glass).