My friend Carole and her husband have been so keen on making juices, she often gives me suggestions on how to create new drinks with my powerful blender. Today’s healthy juice is a blend of pure, freshly pressed apple juice, fresh cucumbers, baby kale, spinach leaves, lime juice, chia seeds and a lot of ice cubes.
The chia seeds add a beautiful consistency to the juice, which can otherwise seem a little flat. They are loaded with health benefits, so if you want to start the day on a wonderful note, take a few minutes to prepare this “superfood” drink and remember to consider adding more greens to your daily life.
1. Info for Healthy Green Juice Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 4
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Healthy Green Juice Recipe
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup baby kale
- 1 handful parsley
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (see tips)
- 2 cups ice cubes
- Prepping the apples:
- In a home juicing machine, press the whole apples. Set aside.
- Note: You could also use 1½ cups of store-bought unfiltered apple juice.
- For the chia seeds: Wash the chia seeds through a large strainer under running water. Place the seeds in a pitcher. Add the appple juice. Let stand until the seeds gain in volume, which will take 5 minutes (or a bit more).
- Add the ice cubes, cucumber, spinach, kale, parsely, lime juice, chia seeds and apple juice to the blender. Blend for 1 minute. Pour in up to 1 cup water for a smoother flow. The consistency of the drink should be smooth.
- Pour into 4 glasses.
- Garnish with a bit of kale for decoration.
4. Tips and advices:
- You could “up” the flavors by adding coconut milk instead of water.
- For an alcoholic version, you could spike the drink with vodka.
- For a healthy equivalent drink, you could add celery.
- For extra zing, you could add 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger.
- You could add other sweeteners in addition to the natural sweetness from the apple juice.
- Did you know? Cucumbers are loaded with vitamin C. Some people peel cucumbers entirely but the skin is where the nutrients are located so next time you prepare a cucumber salad, remember to only peel 2-3 strips around the vegetable.