I have to admit, we haven’t had much problem getting the kids to eat their vegetables. How, you may ask? Well, my first rule is never trick them. Second, get your children involved in the kitchen. Once they start to enjoy cooking, they will become more emotionally interested in creating new dishes, which is exactly what you want them to do! Trust them and let them experiment with new flavor combinations.
They recently came up with a savory fruit salad with greens, which was delicious. Since today was my husband’s little 7-year-old sister’s first day at school, I packed a plastic container with the raspberry salad (my munchkin’s favorite fruit) and raspberry salad dressing on the side. You could also make a sandwich layering a slice of cheese, raspberry salad and a slice of cold meat between toasted slices of bread.
1. Info for Healthy School Lunch: Raspberry Spinach Salad Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 2
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Healthy School Lunch: Raspberry Spinach Salad Recipe
- 2 (5.6-ounce) packages fresh raspberries, at room temperature
- ¼ small red onion, sliced
- 1-½ tablespoons raspberry balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (or regular salt)
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup rocket salad (or any lettuce)
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- ½ cup raspberry vinaigrette
- A few days before… In a jar, combine the honey, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Mix well. Add the onions. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss well and store in the refrigerator. Let them sit for at least 15-30 minutes. Note: The longer you wait, the milder they taste. You can keep them for at least 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator. On the serving day… If you’re packing the salad, place the pickled onions and raspberries first at the bottom of your plastic container. Then top with the salad greens. That way the leaves won’t wilt by lunch time. Otherwise, place all the ingredients on a large serving platter. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Drizzle with the raspberry vinaigrette. Lightly toss without crushing the raspberries too much. Serve at room temperature.
- Bon appétit!