I love incorporating fruit into savory green salads. Stone and citrus fruits work great, but today I mixed kiwis into a colorful and healthy salad made with spinach, romaine lettuce, carrots and olives. My favorite element in a salad is the dressing, and for this particular salad I made a chevre flavored vinaigrette. The creaminess from the goat cheese gives a richer mouth-feel and adds a few more calories to keep me primed for the rest of the day.
Served with a few Parmesan bread twists, this makes a wonderfully light meal. Give it a try!
1. Info for Kiwi Spinach Salad Recipe
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 169
2. Ingredients for Kiwi Spinach Salad Recipe
- 3 kiwis, at room temperature
- ¼ small red onion, sliced
- 1 sprig oregano, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chèvre, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (or regular salt)
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled, boiled for 5 minutes and diced
- ¼ cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 clove pickled garlic (optional)
- 1 (6-ounce) package baby spinach leaves
- 2 heads baby romaine lettuce, shredded
- For the kiwi: Peel the kiwis. Slice and cut the slices into quarters.
- For the dressing: In a mortar and pestle, combine the garlic (if used), sea salt, honey, oregano and 1½ tablespoons chèvre. Grind into a thick paste. Add olive oil and white pepper. Add the sliced red onion and set aside.
- Place the carrots, olives and kiwi in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with the remaining chèvre. Mix well. Drizzle with the dressing. Add the romaine lettuce and spinach leaves. Lightly toss so as not to crush the spinach leaves too much.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Bon appétit!