I always love the idea of my husband, who is a vegetarian, and me sharing an “almost” identical meal. It’s not always easy, but it’s worth the effort. For this recipe, first I prepared the meat version, wrapping turkey bacon over turkey breast. Then I repeated the same dish using fried tofu and Morningstar Farms brand vegan bacon. I stuffed both the turkey and tofu versions with slivers of a homemade Meyer lemon “citron confit.”
I mentioned last week that we have an abundance of fragrant Meyer lemons from our garden. I cooked up a storm using up all the lemons we had and I’ll be sharing all the recipes with you in the coming days.
1. Info for Lemon Tofu Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Lemon Tofu Recipe
- 1 (16-ounce) package firm tofu
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, as needed
- 1 sprig lavender
- 1 sprig oregano
- 1 sprig thyme
- 12 vegan bacon strips
- 5 halves citron confit, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepping the tofu:
- Cut the tofu into 6 equal slices. In a heatproof Dutch oven, heat the oil. Pan-fry the slices on both sides until golden. The tofu should have a nice fried outer crust and still be moist inside. Cut each tofu pieces in half crosswise, then pan-fry the cut side. Transfer the tofu onto paper towels. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt. Create a small incision in the center of each piece and insert a slice of citron confit.
- Assembly time:
- Place the tofu pieces on a flat surface such as a cutting board. Wrap the tofu roll in veggie bacon.
- Add more olive oil to the pan if necessary. Add the garlic and herbs and cook for 1 minute. Place the tofu rolls, seam side down and cook over medium heat, turning on all sides for a total of 3-4 minutes so the veggie bacon becomes somewhat crispy. Once the bacon is “crisp”, drizzle with white wine and vegetarian broth. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes. Top the bacon with the remaining citron confit and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt.
- Bake them in the Dutch oven in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the liquid evaporates.
- Serve immediately with steamed vegetables and polenta on the side.
- Bon appétit!
4. Tips and advices:
- If you don’t have fresh herbs available, you could replace them with ready-mixed herbes de Provence.