I’m presenting to you another vegetarian recipe for Meatless Monday. I pan-seared Portobello mushrooms that I stuffed with lentils and various colorful vegetables.
Our family is heading to Europe this summer and I’d like to be able to fit into a bikini this season, so this hearty, yet super-healthy dish will not only satisfy our taste buds but will also help us look trim in a few weeks.
The recipe is gluten free because we recently found out my mother-in-law is gluten intolerant. I served the mushrooms with pan-fried polenta medallions and garnished the dish with crumbled French feta cheese.
1. Info for Lentil Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Recipe
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr 20 mins
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 180 kcal
2. Ingredients for Lentil Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Recipe
- 4 ounces French feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 Portobello mushrooms
- ¾ cup packed steamed French lentils, separated
- 2 boiled carrots, diced
- 2 cups boiled broccoli florets, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup pear champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons orange blossom honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ¾ cup olive oil
- Remove the stem from the mushrooms. Using the edge of a spoon, scrape and remove their gills. Wipe the inside clean using a paper towel (see tips). Drizzle the mushrooms with olive oil.
- Drizzle a frying pan with olive oil. Place the whole mushrooms on the hot grill, hat side down. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip them and cook for another minute. Remove from the grill. Transfer to a platter, hat side up, so the mushrooms don’t gather the excess liquid.
- For the champagne vinaigrette: In a jar, combine 2 tablespoons lemon juice, ¼ cup pear champagne vinegar, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons orange blossom honey, ¾ teaspoon salt, a pinch of black pepper and ½ cup olive oil. Seal the jar and shake until the vinaigrette is emulsified.
- Assembly: In a large mixing bowl, combine the lentils, carrots, broccoli and champagne vinaigrette. Adjust seasoning. Mix well, then add the parsley. Allow to rest for 15 minutes so the lentils are well seasoned. When ready to serve, arrange the Portobello mushrooms hat side down on a large, long serving platter. Fill with the lentil mixture. Garnish with French feta. Decorate the edges of the platter with polenta medallions.
- Bon appétit!