Here’s a recipe for an inexpensive, super easy and delicious snack. My husband Lulu and I usually love munching on snacks late in the evening and kale chips are a great way to do so guilt-free.
Kale chips are nutritious and low in calories with fewer than 50 calories per serving. I flavored the chips with Indian spices and Meyer lemon zest. You can find a similar recipe in my latest book, Haute Potato, made with waffle potato chips instead.
1. Info for Masala Kale Chips Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Masala Kale Chips Recipe
- 1 bunch fresh kale (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cardamom pod
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon red chili powder, to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon, freshly grated
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Preparing the kale: Wash the raw kale thoroughly in several baths. Remove and discard the fibrous and older parts of the stems. Break the leaves into 3-4" pieces. Pat dry with a towel. Making the masala spice mix: Extract the seeds from the cardamom pod. In a mortar and pestle, grind the cardamom seeds. In a small pan, over high heat, dry toast and constantly stir the cumin seeds and coriander seeds for 2 minutes. Remove from the stove and add the turmeric, cinnamon, red chili powder and nutmeg. Transfer to the mortar and pestle with the cardamom and crush into a fine mill.
- Drizzle the kale with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with lemon zest, salt, the masala mix and black pepper. Toss well. "Massage" the leaves to make sure they’re well seasoned. Brush 3 baking pans with a little oil. Divide into 3 equal portions and spread the leaves onto the pans. Bake for 12 minutes until dark green and crispy (I baked all the sheets at the same time, each one one a separate rack.
- Let cool to room temperature and serve with nuts such as almonds or pistachios or store the chips in an airtight container until ready to serve.