The idea for this Mediterranean salad was inspired by finding fiddlehead ferns at my local market last week. The tight coil of the young fern is very similar to cappelletti pasta and I thought mixing them would make a pretty dish playing with odd shapes and colorful ingredients. This week I was able to buy the pasta but unfortunately the market doesn’t carry fiddleheads anymore. It didn’t stop me from making a delicious dish… I just substituted beautiful haricots verts in place of the fiddleheads.
I combined the coil-shaped pasta with red onions, carrots and celery that I received this evening from Full Circle and heirloom tomatoes from our garden. To the summer pasta salad, I also added garbanzo beans, hearts of palm, olives, pickled grape leaves and sun-dried tomatoes to complete the one-dish meal. No ingredient is irreplaceable; you can always substitute in an equally delicious element. All that really matters is a visually appealing and tasty dish.
I almost forgot to mention that all PhamFatale readers will get $10 off for your first box order from Full Circle. If you’re interested, use the promo code SOCIAL10 upon sign-up. Bon appétit and enjoy farm fresh, organic vegetables!
1. Info for Mediterranean Pasta Salad Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 8
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Mediterranean Pasta Salad Recipe
- 1 (16-ounce) package cappelletti pasta, cooked, salted and cooled to room temperature
- ½ cup sugar cane vinegar (or any vinegar)
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, diced, at room temperature
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- 1 (8-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinse
- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces haricots verts, steamed and cut into quarters
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- 1 jar pepperoncini, drained
- ¼ cup pickled grape leaves, finely sliced
- ¼ cup basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- ¼ cup curly parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, + extra herbs and oil from the jar
- 1 stalk celery, peeled and finely diced
- 6 radishes, cut into small wedges
- 4 hearts of palm, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Marinating the mozzarella: In a bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese, hearts of palm, pickled grape leaves and sun-dried tomatoes with 3 tablespoons herbs and oil from the jar. Mix well. In a bowl, combine the honey, vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil.
- Pit the olives (if necessary).
- Place the cooked pasta (still a bit warm) in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients. Toss well. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Bon appétit!