I think this type of food is especially appealing to female guests. The colors are striking, almost bewitching. The appetizers have a lot of flavor, yet are super healthy. If you’re looking for store-bought muhammara, I highly recommend Haig’s. But if you don’t want to be too adventurous, you can replace the pomegranate spread with others such as crumbled feta and chopped olives mixed with Greek yogurt and lemon juice and substitute a touch of oregano for the mint.
1. Info for Muhammara and Cucumber Bites (Healthy Appetizer Recipe)
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 12
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Muhammara and Cucumber Bites (Healthy Appetizer Recipe)
- 3 sheets lavash bread, see tips
- 8 ounces muhammara
- 2 Persian cucumbers
- fresh mint, dill and cilantro, for garnish
- fresh pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- Using a mandoline, shave the cucumbers into thin slices lengthwise (use one of the thinnest settings, at 2mm or a thick vegetable peeler). Line a cookie sheet with paper towels, spread the cucumber slices and pat dry. Set aside.
- Cut each sheet of lavash bread into 4 (2-inch wide) long strips.
- Spread a layer of muhammara on the lavash strips. Add a layer of cucumber slices from end to end, making sure the muhammara is still visible.
- Sprinkle fresh dill, mint and cilantro, as desired. Roll into a tight spiral. Secure with a toothpick. Decorate the top with a few mint leaves.
- Transfer to a serving cup. Garnish with a few pomegranate seeds as a reminder of the flavor in the spread.
- Serve immediately at room temperature.
- Bon appétit!
4. Tips and advices:
- The muhammara is a pomegrante spread that tastes savory, slightly sweet, nutty and a bit tangy. The spread acts as an adhesive and prevents the cucumber slices from sliding too much once the twirled bites are wrapped.
- I used California Lavash bread; You could also replace it with tortilla wraps or crêpes. They’re very easy to roll too. Another alternative would be to use mini pita bread and fill the pockets with cucumber, muhammara and the herbs.
- You can prepare the ingredients in advance, chill in the refrigerator and assemble the rolls later in the day.