Sometimes the simplest things make the most delicious dish. For this vegetarian recipe, I only used 3 ingredients plus seasonings and tried to showcase them in one easy dish. Red potatoes from my garden, button mushrooms and ghee (clarified butter). Very thinly sliced potatoes were arranged into a galette and stuffed with mushrooms. That’s all. I also flavored the ghee with oregano and seasoned the potatoes with salt and white pepper.
1. Info for Mushroom Potato Galette Recipe
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr 15 mins
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 302
2. Ingredients for Mushroom Potato Galette Recipe
- 4 red potatoes
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced, lengthwise
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepping the potatoes: Peel the potatoes. Shave them lengthwise using a mandoline slicer on the thinnest setting. Place in a large mixing bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon ghee for the mushrooms and cover the potatoes with the rest. “Massage” and mix until all the slices are well coated. Generously season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepping the mushrooms: Thoroughly grease a cast iron skillet grill (an oven-proof regular frying pan will work too; see tips) and heat until it’s really hot. Add 1 tablespoon ghee. Add the oregano. Let sizzle for 30 seconds, then add the mushrooms. Sauté for 3 minutes until shiny and softened. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a platter. Discard and remove the oregano.
- In the same skillet, arrange and stack the potato slices until the entire skillet is covered and form one uniform layer. Top with mushrooms. Repeat with another layer of potatoes, forming a crown and leaving the center open for more mushrooms. Fill the center with the remaining mushrooms. Lastly, complete the top with the rest of the potato slices.
- Place on the stove over high heat. After 1 minute, reduce to medium-low and let the bottom cook for 15 minutes until golden. Resist the urge to peek!
- Transfer the skillet to a baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes, then increase the temperature to 425°F and bake for about 5 more minutes. Watch the top carefully; when there’s a nice crisp crust, your potatoes are ready!
- Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 5 minutes. Place a serving platter on top and flip it.
- Serve warm with steak or roasted chicken.
- Bon appétit!
4. Tips and advices:
- You could make the same dish using sweet potatoes or other root vegetables.
- The top and bottom of the dish should be crispy golden and the inside completely soft and tender.
- If using an oven-proof regular frying pan, don’t forget to cover the handle with aluminum foil so it doesn’t get deformed.
- You can find ghee in any Indian market or make your own. Simply melt regular butter. Once melted, bring the butter to boil, then reduce to medium-low. Remove and discard the foam at the surface. Once the liquid is golden and another foam is formed, repeat and skim the impurities rising to the surface one more time. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Stop pouring the golden liquid just before you reach the bottom, discarding the brown milk solids from the bottom. Store in an airtight container. Voilà!