My husband’s niece and nephew spent the afternoon with us. It was so nice having so many children in the house. Of course, our little daughter was the center of attention and she loved it! While they were playing with the baby, I prepared dinner. I cooked some brown rice (Lulu’s request since the beginning of the new year) and made mushroom tofu stir fry.
The stir fry is composed of combined shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms and enoki mushrooms, Japanese eggplant, sugar snap peas and tofu, of course!
1. Info for Mushroom Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Mushroom Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 (12-ounce) package firm tofu
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (or any neutral oil), as needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 yellow onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 Japanese eggplant
- 10 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup enoki mushrooms, cut into thirds
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, halved crosswise
- 1½ tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 1½ tablespoons chili bean sauce
- 2 teaspoons homemade kumquat preserves (or any sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- Cut the tofu into ½-inch slices. In a wok, heat the oil. Pan-fry the slices on both sides until golden. The tofu should have a nice fried outer crust and still be moist inside. Transfer the tofu onto paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Allow to cool a little. As soon as the tofu is not too hot to handle, cut in half crosswise, then diagonally.
- Trim the eggplant. Cut into quarters lengthwise, then cut into 2-inch pieces. In the same wok, add the eggplant. Ensure that the eggplant pieces are coated in oil. Toss and cook until soft and tender. Transfer to a platter.
- Add more oil to the wok and sauté the garlic. As the garlic becomes slightly golden, add the sugar snap peas. Cook for 2 minutes. As soon as they’re shiny, sprinkle with salt. Toss well for another minute then transfer to a platter. Add the shiitake mushroom slices to the wok. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the oyster mushroom and enoki mushrooms. Stir fry for 2 minutes, season with salt, then transfer to a platter.
- Add more oil if necessary. Once the wok is hot, add the tofu pieces, kumquat preserves, five spice marinade, chili bean sauce and chili garlic sauce. Stir constantly until all the sauce is evenly distributed. Add the raw yellow onions, mushrooms, sugar snap peas and eggplant. Toss well for 2-3 minutes and add cilantro. Check seasoning (add more salt if necessary). Add black pepper. Turn off the heat. Keep on the stove for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with more cilantro.
- Serve with jasmine brown rice (it’s healthier and as delicious as regular jasmine rice).
- Eat with chopsticks!
4. Tips and advices:
- You could add other vegetables such as carrots, bok choy, wood ear mushrooms, bean sprouts or zucchini.
- You can use store-bought black bean garlic sauce, chili bean sauce and five spice marinade like the ones from Lee Kum Kee. You could also replace the marinade with hoisin sauce and 1 teaspoon five-spice powder (cinnamon, star anise, clove, fennel, Sichuan pepper).