Making pasta patties is my way of using left-over pasta. I made a very simple pasta dish mixing pre-cooked elbow macaroni, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and eggs. I wanted to create a nice contrast of texture, so I breaded the pasta patties using panko bread crumbs from Asian Food Grocer and gave them a quick pan fry.
I served the crunchy patties with tomato sauce and a light green salad. This is a great light meal for lunch, and can be put together very quickly if you have leftover cooked pasta on hand.
1. Info for Pasta Patty Appetizer Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Pasta Patty Appetizer Recipe
- 16 ounces cooked elbow macaroni pasta (see tips)
- 4 tablespoons caramelized onions (see tips)
- 6 tablespoons ricotta cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons canola oil (or any neutral oil), as needed
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- ¼ cup parmesan, shredded
- 1 sprig oregano, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 teaspoons green onions (white and green parts)
- 4 tablespoons curly parsley, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1-½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (or more oil)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pasta with the ricotta cheese, oregano, green onions, parsley, caramelized onions and 2 tablespoons panko.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the cornstarch, cayenne powder and turmeric powder. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the remaining panko in a large plate. Grease disposable gloves with oil and form the pasta patties. Using a metal circle cutter, form ½-inch thick patties. Dredge the patties with panko on both sides.
- Heat a large, non-stick pan with the remaining oil. Add butter. Once the butter is melted, place the patties to the hot pan. Make sure to space the pasta patties about 1 to 2 inches apart so that they don’t touch each other. Lower the heat to medium-high and pan-fry until golden. Using a silicone spatula, flatten the patties and flip them. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side until a golden crust is formed on both sides of the patties. Transfer to a platter. I cooked them in 3 batches.
- I served them along with a bed of lettuce. Drizzle with your favorite vinaigrette.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with tomato sauce or sour cream on the side.
- Bon appétit!