We had a little bread left-over from the Superbowl party, and instead of wasting it, I turned the stale bread into a delicious side dish. I added plantains, water chestnuts and green beans, then finished the dish with crumbled goat cheese. I paired the plantain stuffing with veal scallopini.
1. Info for Plantain Stuffing Recipe
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Plantain Stuffing Recipe
- 4 plantains, peeled and sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 ounces Dutch crunch bread, sliced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sprig oregano, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons leeks (green part only), finely chopped
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup cooked water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 (14-ounce) can vegetable broth, warm
- 1-½ teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pickled peppadew peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the slices of bread into about 1-inch cubes. No need to cut off the crusts. Spread the bread cubes on a non-stick baking sheet. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Add one clove of garlic. Toss well.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Toss the croutons once half-way through the baking process. All sides should be slightly golden. Remove from the oven. Cool the croutons for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat the olive oil. Add the first batch of sliced bananas. Reduce the heat to medium-high. Cook for about 3 minutes. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Gently lift the bananas using a silicone spatula without applying any pressure so they don’t get smashed and remain crispy, gently lift the bananas. Flip the bananas as soon as one side is browned. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Check for doneness; they should be crisp on the outside and soft but still firm on the inside. Transfer to a platter. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the green beans and stir for about 3-4 minutes until the color changes and becomes greener and more glistening. Add salt. Transfer to a platter.
- Heat the rest of the oil. Add the remaining garlic and leeks. Cook until fragrant. Add the croutons, water chestnuts and oregano. Toss well. Add the vegetable broth. Stir well until all the liquid is evaporated. Add mushrooms. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Return the green beans and plantains to the pan. Stir well. The entire mixture should be moist but not mushy. Adjust the seasoning. Add more salt (if necessary) and black pepper. Turn off the heat. Finish with the pickled peppadew peppers. Stir well.
- Serve warm. Garnish with crumbled goat cheese.
- Bon appétit!