I realize I haven’t posted any Indian dishes for a while. Last weekend, Daddy, my father-in-law, suggested we prepare poha, which is a flattened rice dish. Poha is a great breakfast item and is also delightful as a snack. I’ve prepared similar dishes such as chudva in the past.
Thick, flattened rice grains are rehydrated and cooked with turmeric and coconut. I kept the recipe fairly simple , flavoring the rice with only mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chiles, curry leaves, cilantro and a generous amount of lime juice.
You could fancy this up and make it more filling with frozen green peas, diced potatoes or cashew nuts. I haven’t seen this rice dish in any Indian restaurant, so if you want a fairly unique culinary trip to India, give this simple and easy dish a try!
1. Info for Poha Chudva Recipe
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 330 kcal
2. Ingredients for Poha Chudva Recipe
- 4 cups thick, parched rice (see tips)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ yellow onion, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 pound cumin seeds
- 1 pound dried red chiles
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar (optional), to taste
- ½ green chile (optional), chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1¼ teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, to taste
- ¼ cup dry coconut slices, slightly toasted
- ¼ cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 6 fresh curry leaves, torn in half
- Wash and rinse the parched rice. Drain thoroughly. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan. When the oil is hot and bubbly, add the curry leaves and cook until fragrant. Set aside.
- Heat about 4 cups oil in a medium frying pan. When the oil is hot and bubbly, add the mustard seeds, dried red chiles and cumin seeds. The oil will start splattering because of the mustard seeds. Add the red chili powder, fresh chopped chile (if using) and drained parched rice. Toss well. Add turmeric, curry leaves and salt. Mix well. To ensure the rice is nice and moist, pour in ½ cup water. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the liquid is completely evaropated.
- Once you’re ready to serve, add sugar (if using), a drizzle of lime juice and cilantro. Mix well, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with coconut and more cilantro if you like.
- Serve with masala chai.
- Bon appétit!