This recipe could more accurately be described as bananas "faux-ster" because there’s no ice cream or alcohol. I call it "safe" bananas foster because there’s no fire hazard and it’s kid-friendly.
Traditional bananas foster is served over vanilla ice cream, but it will work with just about anything. I made a caramel-rum sauce for this dish to pair with my panettone pudding. To repeat the flavors from the bread pudding, I used coconut cream instead of heavy cream. When the caramel was nice and hot, I added sliced ripe bananas to the pan. The bananas softened, absorbed the sweetness of the caramel, and were ready to serve.
1. Info for Bananas Foster
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 6
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Bananas Foster
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 (7-ounce) package coconut cream
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (or regular salt)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons imitation rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut cream. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the bananas. Coat them with lemon juice to prevent them from browning, then pat them dry.
- Place the sliced bananas and 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan over high heat. Cook until golden on both sides. Sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of sugar. Transfer to a platter.
- In the same saucepan, add the rest of the sugar and 2 more tablespoons of butter. It’s important to watch the sugar carefully; as soon as the edges of the pan start caramelizing, immediately lower the heat. Gently jiggle the saucepan in circles. Lower the heat to the lowest setting when there are only a few remaining non-caramelized pieces. Don’t let the sugar get dark brown or you’ll get a burnt, bitter taste.
- When all the sugar is an amber color, remove from the heat, pause for about a minute (be careful of splattering when the cream is added), then slowly add the warm coconut cream and sea salt. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon. Let the sauce cool down a bit. Stir until the caramel is dissolved in the milk. Add the rum and coconut extracts. Stir well and add the caramelized bananas.
- Pair with warm bread pudding.