When I was growing up, grits weren’t popular in France. I tasted grits for the first time in Tennessee while staying with an American host family during my teenage years. I had it plain with butter. For this version that I prepared for baby Aria (who’s not quite a a baby anymore; she’s starting pre-school this August!), I flavored the grits with sun-dried tomatoes and Gouda cheese.
Needless to say, she loved it. It’s got a very pleasing texture for kids, and being the foodie-in-training that she is, she enjoyed the tomatoes and cheese. I’ll be making more versions of this for her to try in the near future!
1. Info for Creamy Cheese Grits with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 520kcal
2. Ingredients for Creamy Cheese Grits with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup quick-cooking hominy grits
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 sprig thyme, bruised
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup store-bought julienned sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ cup Gouda cheese , diced
- ¼ cup cream (optional)
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a deep saucepan, heat the olive oil and fry the green onions and thyme until golden. Add the parsley, stir until shiny, then transfer to a plate, leaving as much oil as possible in the pan.
- In the same saucepan, add the garlic. Cook until golden. Add 2 cups broth. Bring to a boil, then immediately add the grits. Bring the liquid back to a boil, then lower the heat. Add the Gouda cheese and stir frequently. Cook for about 15 minutes. Check the liquid and periodically add up to ½ cup of warm broth as soon as the liquid has been absorbed. Return the green onions. Let simmer for about 5 minutes total.
- Assembly: When the grains are almost cooked, season with salt and pepper. Add cream. Stir well and finally add the sun-dried tomatoes. Mix until well combined. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Note: if you re-heat the grits, place over medium-low heat on the stove and stir in about ¼ cup warm water.
- Serve warm.
- Bon appétit!