It’s Saint Patrick’s day next week, so I thought I would feature our family’s favorite snacks: sweets, of course!
I prepared strawberry-flavored shortcake batter as the base of the dessert. To ensure a moist texture, I also added crème fraîche. For the green decorations, I used cream cheese frosting colored with pandan paste and light green sprinkles. My little one adored them and I enjoyed watching her eat them just as much. Give this recipe a try next Monday; these mini sweets would make a leprechaun “green” with envy.
1. Info for Green Shortcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cook Time: unavailable
- Total Time: unavailable
- Servings: 16
- Calories: unavailable
2. Ingredients for Green Shortcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 whole egg
- 2 teaspoons pure strawberry extract (optional)
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons creme frau00eeche (or sour cream)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2¼ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Making the shortcakes:
- Beat the egg in a mixing bowl with the granulated sugar until the texture is thicker. Add the strawberry extract and food coloring. Stir well. Add the flour, baking powder, crème fraîche, milk, brown sugar and salt. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Line 2 12-hole mini muffin trays with mini cupcake liners (or grease each cavity with a bit of oil). Fill the molds with the mixture.
- Bake the mini sweets for 13-15 minutes at 350°F.
- A knife or a toothpick inserted into a shortcake should come out clean. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool completely.
- While the shortcakes are cooling, combine powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter and pandan paste in a bowl. Use an electric mixer and beat until the texture is smooth and creamy.
- Frost the shortcakes with the pandan cream cheese frosting, then top with the green sprinkles.
- Enjoy with an unsweetened hot cup of tea.
- Bon appétit!
4. Tips and advices:
- You can flavor the frosting with the ingredient of your choice (vanilla beans are an excellent selection too!). You can find pandan paste in most Asian markets.
- I bought strawberry extract at my local market.
- I used soft gel paste food coloring (can be found at Whole Foods). You could use liquid food coloring or find food coloring powder in most Indian markets.